You read this post because you love photo books and likely have published one (or many) yourself.
We love books too! A lot. That’s why we created The Phooks to let photo books & zines shine brightly. We treat every title as a treasure, which must be seen by as wide as possible audience and sold to those who really care and love it.
It means we commit to helping self- and indie-publishers reach the right audience
- For Free and sell their books at a Minimum Fee.
- No Submission and Store listing fee, for the lifetime.
- We charge only the sales commission (see below)
Here are all the key rules are described in a human friendly way:
- You do really have the book or a zine you submit
No print-on-demand books are accepted. No pre-orders unless you get in touch with us via email [email protected] submitting, you confirm that you are the author, owner, a person or company permitted to sell submitted titles.
- By submitting your titles you provide us with rights to use all the materials about the book on thephooks.com and external channels
We will do our best to promote every title on the web. For this reason, we will use photos, vidoes, description of your book, authors’, co-authors, publisher’s names in our advertising materials, editorial content, posts in social networks and email newsletters without additional notice or approval.
- Submissions Acceptance and Decline
Please provide all the requested information to make review process simple and fast. We will request additional details, if necessary, until we have everything required for the publication in the library.Submission review takes time. From a week to a month, which depends on our workload and the quality of information you provide.We reserve the right to decline your submission and will do our best to provide you with a feedback explaining the reason of decline.
- We create a “Seller account” for you
In case if your submission is accepted, we will create a seller account for you based on the information you provided via the submission form.
- We will use the email address you provided via submission form as your login and contact email.
- You will receive an automated email including your sign in and usage instructions. Make sure to check you spam folder.
- You will be asked to confirm your email address by clicking the link.
- You will need to reset your password.
- Accepted titles are added to the library and become available for purchase immidiately
If your titles are accepted, they will be listed in the library right away. Anyone will be able to order your title, even if you have not loged in to your “Seller account” yet.You will receive a message to your email address with all the details in case if an order for your title is placed.
- Title price and Shipping rates are to be set up according to the information you provide via the submission form
You can always edit the price of your title and shipping rates, but we kindly ask and recommend to notify us about any price and stocks related changes. We’re also happy to change anything for you. Just let us know via email.
- Payouts are to be made to the payment method you provide via the submission form
We will not be able to make a payout until you provide functioning payment method (PayPal email address). Please make sure you wrote it correctly.
- Payouts conditions
The main condition for a payout to be made is a “Fulfilled” status and a proof of shipment you provide to us via your order management page or via email.Proof of shipment:
– Package tracking code for registered trackable shippments;
– A photo of your parcel with correctly written customer address on it (Name, Surname, full address including zip code and country name).
- Payouts timings and delays
We will do our best to send payouts immidiately after you Fulfilled an order and provided a proof of shipment, but we reserve the right to make them once a week.Transaction processing could take some time, especially for PayPal — up to 21 days. It depends on many different factors.If the transaction was declined or you didn’t recive the payout, please contact us — we will check the reason from our side and will suggest an alternative payout method if necessary.
- Payouts consist of
– Cost of ordered products – our commission (see the actual rate).
– full cost of shipping according to the rates you provide.
Library listing is free of charge and for the lifetime. We charge commissions only when an order for your title(s) is placed.
With the project relaunch in March 2020 we have changed commission rates and structure to simplify the calculation.
- Commission rates became a bit cheaper for products priced above $15.
- And few cents more expensive for products priced below $15. We do not want to increase commissions, but we still must to cover our transaction fees.
Please see details and examples below:
|Products priced > $15||Products priced < $15|
(Since March 15th of March, 2020)
Cost of product: $20
Shipping cost: $10
Commission: $20 * 25% = $5
Payout: $20 – $5 + $10 = $25
Cost of product: $14
Shipping cost: $5
Commission: $14 * 13% = $2.1
Payout: $14 – $2.1 + $5 = $16.9
|Before||10% + $5 fixed||5% + $1 fixed|
Cost of product: $20
Shipping cost: $10
Commission: $20 * 10% + $5 = $7
Payout: $20 – $7 + $10 = $23
Cost of product: $14
Shipping cost: $5
Commission: $14 * 5% + $1 = $1.7
Payout: $14 – $1.7 + $5 = $17.3
We kindly ask you to keep actual prices and stocks for your titles via your Seller Account page. Not sure how to do something — just let us know.
- Copies in Stock
Please make sure you have the specified number of copies for sales via The Phooks and don’t forget to change the stocks amount if necessary to avoid orders cancelation.
You’re able to change the price or to set a discount at any time.
- Shipping rates
Here we would recommend to contact us in case you need to change your shipping methods and rates and we will do that for you. The system is quite complicated with not the best user interface (for now) and we’d better help you to avoid mistakes and errors.
- Adding a new product
Please use the same submission form to make the review and publication process fast and smooth. Make sure you use the same email address.
- Disabling products
If you want to disable a product, please just set its stocks to 0. If you want to remove the product completely from the system and our website — contact us.
The main idea behind The Phooks library is to provide a scene and a shelve, to build a media around for promoting every title individually and the whole library at the same time.
Every accepted title will be promoted by us in following ways, absolutely for free:
- Showcased at the “New Titles” section on the main page.
- Published to our soical network pages and accounts (we promote every account with both paid advertising and other mechanics).
- Promoted together with the whole platform in search engines (we do a lot of tech and SEO work behind the scenes to get higher positions at search results pages in Google and other platforms).
- Sent out to The Phooks email list subscribers with our Library Review newsletter.
We encourage you to help us in promoting your work:
- Share links to your titles on The Phooks in your own social networks accounts.
- Add a link to your titles on The Phooks to your own website.
- Make sure to follow us in social networks and share posts with mentions of your works.
- We will make and publish our “People. Not Pages” mini-interview with every accepted artist. See example.
The Phooks Librayr works and grows thanks to the community: every share helps us to promote your work. The more artists share their work, the more value everyone gets.